Wednesday, July 11, 2012

National League Wins and Post Game Thoughts

Good Afternoon,

National League Logo
If you are a fan of the National League, today is a good day for you especially if your team has a shot of making the playoffs, because thanks to the 8-0 N.L. win last night the N.L. representative will have home field advantage in the World Series. The argument is made by both sides about whether or not the All Star Game should determine this, but the fact of the matter is if you are a fan of the Pirates like myself, it is a guarantee that if they make it to the World Series, Game 1 will be played at PNC Park. I realize this is still a long shot with half the season remaining, but hey it gives us all something to look forward to. 

Overall I thought the game was entertaining, even though the N.L jumped out to an early 5-0 lead and never looked back, I always enjoy seeing these big match ups that you can only find in the All Star Game. I was also happy to see both Andrew McCutchen and Joel Hanrahan get into the game and provide support for the N.L.

Looking at the Home Run Derby, I was not impressed this season. The HR derby used to be one of my favorite parts of the All Star Festivities but I am slowly losing interest like many others. I feel this comes from a variety of factors, the biggest being how ESPN covers the Derby. One thing that disgusted me was during some of the hitters at-bats they were talking to other All Stars and not focusing on the hitters which I found disrespectful. The website Bleacher Report did an article with some interesting twists that could be added. Click Here to check it out.

The other big issue of this year's All Star Festivities was the situation involving Robinson Cano and him not selecting Kansas City Royal and hometown favorite Billy Butler for the Home Run Derby. This lead to Cano being booed relentlessly throughout the Home Run Derby and All Star Game. I have also read reports online today that Cano's family was "yelled at" during the Derby. While I disagree with the heckling of his Family members, I really had no problems with him being booed overall. This is an issue that may affect future Home Run Derbies.

- The Flood City Sports Fan


Photo Credit (NL Logo): http://media.photobucket.com/image/national%20league%20logo/multifariousramblings/baseball/NationalLeagueLogo.png?o=17

No comments:

Post a Comment