Friday, April 6, 2012

Wild and Wonderful Trip to Wheeling

This season I was lucky enough to be an intern for the Wheeling Nailers Hockey team for their games here in Johnstown, PA. This team is celebrating their 20th season of hockey this season and for the second year they played 10 of their home games here in Johnstown. I took an internship with them in Communications/ Media Relations and I found that this is a great organization with a great fan base. A few weeks ago, I was able to make the trip to Wheeling for the first time to work a weekend there. 





What I found was a unique area. I visited many area attractions including the giant Cabela's store, Wheeling Island, and Oglebay Park & Resort. The main part of the trip was working with D.J. and the rest of the staff at WesBanco Arena in downtown Wheeling. This was my first time in Wheeling so I enjoyed exploring the arena and its unique layout. It is a large and as the photos show the arena is home to the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference Hall of Fame which is one of the largest High School Athletic Conferences in the United States.

 
  Map of the Conference         Display Cases Filled with Memorabilia  

Wall Of Helmets in the Concourse                                           

One of the More Interesting features of the Hall of Fame is the Wall of Football Helmets shown below that represents the different teams in the conference. Along with this part of the arena, another noticable feature is the goal horn which is three brass horns and one of the loudest I have ever experienced. It along with the fans rocks this building.

                                                                                                        The Goal Horn

After getting to come to Wheeling I am planning on coming back next season to catch a few games because a few days after my visit it was announced that new local owners had been found and the team will be staying in Wheeling. I reccomend a trip to Wheeling and a visit to WestBanco Arena.


- The Flood City Sports Fan

No comments:

Post a Comment